Friday, January 21, 2011

Sincerely Yours

Last week I began to get really stressed out over midterms. I've always been the one to try and stay on top of my grades and do whatever it took to get an A. That Friday, I had a vocabulary test. I looked over it twice thinking that I would know it enough to pass. Once my teacher placed the test in front of me, I completely blanked out. I forgot everything that I had studied and had to guess every single answer. I began to pray to God that I would somehow remember at least some part of what I studied. My English teacher told us to stop our tests, and decided to allow us to correct our own papers. I ended up getting about 7 out of 20 wrong. I was itching to change my answers, and I allowed myself to be tempted. I changed one of the answers and in result got a C instead of the D that I deserved. Once she collected the paper, I felt completely guilty. I was happy that I didn't get a D, but upset that I didn't get my grade honestly. I had been praying for months for God to make me an example for others, and I knew that that was the wrong way to start. That night, I went to youth group. Of all days we were discussing trials and temptations. My youth pastor asked all of us to open up to James 1. The first verse I see when I opened up the bible was James 2:10:

"For the person who keeps all of the laws except ONE is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God's laws."

That's when I realized that I completely messed up. I shouldn't have changed the answer. It wouldn't have affected my grade too much either way. I went into our small groups after the service and confessed to the them what I had done. One of them asked me whether I would tell my teacher. I didn't want to do it. I panicked because I was unsure of the reaction my teacher would have when I told her. I had no idea what she would say. She could have either been nice about it since I was honest, or never trust me again. She also could have questioned whether or not I had cheated on my other exams. I decided to put it in God's hands. And I prayed that He would give me strength, especially when I never had to admit to a teacher that I had done something wrong. This Tuesday I walked up to her after class to speak with her. I was completely nervous. As I walked up to her I could feel my face reddening. To my surprise she took it graciously. She smiled and thanked me for telling her the truth. I definitely learned my lesson. 

Because I followed what God put into my heart to do, He helped me and gave me the courage to speak to her. Because of this, I know that God will be there for me next time He asks me to do something. As long as you pray and allow God to mold you into who He wants you to be, He will direct your paths. 

-Cynthia

1 comment:

  1. Very Good!!! i know you'll be helping a lot of people with this Blog!! Love you! (:

    ReplyDelete